Mt. Vernon Halts Clarkstown in Semis

Image unavailable osqizb
On Friday evening, the Westchester County center was abuzz with semi-final matchups. The featured game of the evening would be the Section I Class AA No. 1 Mount Vernon Knights vs. No. 4 Clarkstown South Vikings. The Knights kept the Clarkstown at bay by halting the Vikings 59-53.
Clarkstown came to do battle with senior Mike McCahey leading the charge. With a minute and 40 seconds left in the opening quarter, the Knights would capture the lead 16-12. In an attempt to slow McCahey down the Knights double teamed him that eventually resulted in a Knights personal foul by Jamel Lewis that gave McCahey two points at the line. As the clock ticked down, McCahey scored one last basket to close out the quarter at the buzzer knotting the score at 16-16. McCahey finished the quarter with 10 points.
Three minutes into the second quarter, Knights' Isaiah Cousins scored a floater to give the Knights a 26-18 lead. Clarkstown then called a full time out. Upon reentry, the Knights sent McCahey to knock down 1 of 2 free throws. Cousin then intercepted a pass and a scored a layup making the score 28-19. The Knights big man, Will Robinson would then bully his way into the paint and follow-up with a bucket of his own. However, the quarter would belong to Cousins, who delivered an alley-oop to Jarrel Marshal 32-19.
Cousins would score once more in this quarter with a corner jumper making the score 34-19. Clarkston then fouled and sent Robinson to the line where he knocked down 1 free throw. But McCahey with another strong quarter had his team leading at halftime 35-21. Cousins finished the half with 13 points.
Robinson pushed the Knights lead in the third quarter getting inside the paint 37-26 at the 5:42 mark. Clarkston would then pick up one point at the line but Lewis responded and pushed his team's lead with two off the glass while being fouled making the score 40-27. Cousins pushed the envelope and hit a jumper for the Knights and Clarkstown's Clayton Roker answered back with a nice pass to McCahey to score a bucket. A foul was then called on the Knights sending Roker to the line to score two, tightening up the score, 43-31.
Clarkstown would inch closer to the Knights lead after a nice pass from Frank Tucek to Chris Bunyan. Roker followed-up with a steal scoring two and cutting the lead to single digits, 44-35. Knights Brandon Martin closed the quarter scoring two points at the line. At the end of the third the score was, 46-35.
Into the fourth at the 3:32 mark, McCahey got a rebound after a missed shot by Roker making it a ten point game, 50-40. McCahey soon scored again on two free throws making the score, 51-43. McCahey and Roker tried to keep Clarkston in the game but foul trouble was their down fall. The Knights' lead was too far out of reach and Clarkstown ran out of time.
Mount Vernon Knights Isaiah Cousins led his team with 20 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists. Jarrel Marshal contributed eight points for the Knights. Clarkston's Mike McCahey his team with 25 points and 14 rebounds. Clayton Roker added 18 points for Clarkston.
In attendance for tonight's game was UConn's Kevin Ollie who is currently recruiting Cousins. The Knights now advance into the Championship round to face No. 3 Mahopac this Sunday at 12.