CTK steals win from Loughlin

Image unavailable osqizb
BROOKLYN, NY - Jonathan Severe and Omar Calhoun played their best when it counted the most. The two Christ the King guards took it upon themselves to carry their team playing on the road in an excited Bishop Loughlin gym.
Despite having a nine point lead late in the third quarter, Christ the King needed every one of the 17 combined points from the two players. Severe and Calhoun scored all but two of CTK's points in the final quarter. The result was a satisfying and exciting 75-73 win for the Royals.

Article Continues Below
Calhoun had a slow start, only scoring 3 points in the first half. Despite Calhoun not having an impact in the scoring column, CTK still held a 33-30 lead at the intermission. He played hard in the first half, but nothing was falling for the UConn bound senior. That all changed in the third quarter.
Calhoun found Marthely Senat inside for a score after Loughlin opened up the second half with a three pointer. Calhoun started to heat up and led the team in the quarter with 10 points, on his way to a team high 23 points. He scored on 4 layups and finally knocked down an outside shot with a deep jumper from the left corner. That jumper made the score 56-48 and it looked like CTK would be able to take control of the game.
A lay-up by Loughlin's high scoring sophomore guard Kadeem Carrington to close the third quarter made it 58-52. However, Severe opened the fourth with a three from the left corner, but Loughlin scored 6 straight points to make it 61-59. Severe, a junior who scored 10 of his 22 points in the last period, hit a deep two to stop the mini-run. He followed that with a drive into the middle of the lane for a lay-up.
Loughlin never went away and that was due to the fact that Mike Williams was knocking down bombs from the corners. Williams hit a three from the right corner with 2:24 left in the game, then made a steal and found Carrington who finished another lay-up to tie the game at 72 with 2:06 remaining.
CTK turned the ball over three times in a row, but after one turnover and foul, Williams (24 points) went 0-2 from the line. Calhoun finally decided to do something about his team's sloppy ball handling and went end to end and finished with an easy layup to give his team a two point lead. Two more missed free throws with 1:16 left in the game, Jordan Fuchs had a dunk pop out of the rim and then he was given a technical foul for hanging on the rim.
Carrington, who scored a game high 32 points, went to the line with 50.3 seconds left. He promptly missed the first free throw, the fifth in a row for the team, but made the second to cut CTK's lead to one.
After not being able to score on the next possession, Williams stole the inbounds pass and threw the ball ahead to a streaking Carrington who was fouled. He split the free throws and gave Loughlin their first lead of the second half with 35.8 seconds left in the game.
However, an over the back foul put Calhoun at the line. He had to make the first free throw since it was only the 9th team foul for Loughlin. He calmly made the first and followed that by swishing the second and once again CTK was back on top.
Carrington tried to drive to the basket on the last possession of the game, something he had done with ease all game long. Nobody could really stop him, but this time he was stopped stone cold by 6'9" sophomore center Adonis Delarosa, who had just been put into the game for the last possession.
Click Here to view this Link.