Catholic Youth Program C.Y.P. Tournament: Day 2

PORT CHESTER, NY - Only in New York can you watch two games for five bucks and see future D1 prospects in action.
On Friday, the CYP tough man competition continued bringing out hard core basketball fans and scouts who know talent.
NY Savages ravage B.C Eagles, 77-68
NY Savages would come out strong in the opening quarter with Carlos Galan (23pts) scoring from the perimeter. The Eagles shared the ball with 5'7" Justin Robinson (Kingston) delivering a pass to 6'7" Calvin Crawford (14pts) for the layup making it a two point game Savages lead. A minute remained in the quarter and the Savages would score back-to-back baskets. Galan scored a corner jumper but it would be Eagles 6'5" Stan Bucezk (Burke Catholic) who closed the quarter, 20-12 Savages.
The Eagles came alive in the second quarter with Middleton's Kendrick Ray (20pts) driving down the lane but recent Dartmouth commit Malik Gill would end their momentum with a three-pointer extending the Savages lead to 11 points.
6'5" Jonte Rutty (NFA) provided a strong inside presence for the Eagle but they were still down 44-33 to begin the third quarter but the Savages continued to apply pressure as 6'4"Omari Manhertz (Mt. St. Michael) closed this quarter with a jumper.
Ahead by eight to at the top of the fourth, 6'6" Jalen Chapman (14pts) from Eagle Academy would quickly slam two extend the Savages lead but Crawford would answer with back-to-back jumpers to pull the Eagles to within 6.
Crawford and Ray kept the Eagles in the game but the Savages would not let go of their lead. Gomez would finish this quarter with a two hand basket as the Savages advanced in the sudden death tournament.
Metro Hawks embarrass Playmaker Academy, 128-54
Playmaker Academy from Albany, NY clearly had no knowledge of what they were getting into with their first foray into the CYP but they were given a rude awakening. The Metro Hawks, a combination of Brooklyn and Bronx senior and 5th year players rocked the Playmaker's and led 43-11 at the end of the opening quarter. The winner of this match-up was clear by the half as the Metro squad ran up the score finishing the half 83-28.
Metro would hit NBA numbers with three minutes into the third closing out the quarter 109-48. From the top of the fourth refs showed mercy on the Playmakers announcing the rest of the game would be played with a running clock. Metro sat their starters as the bench played out the rest of this game finishing to 128-54.
Metro Hawks Jeff Neverson led all scorers with 30 points. Teammates Thaddeus Hall added 25 points with South Kent's Chris Ortiz finishing with 19 points
On Saturday, the Quarter Finals round, Connecticut Select will face Team Frenji at 7:15pm and NY Blaze will face NY Falcons at 8:30pm.
Click Here to view this Link.